Author Topic: Gluten Free Baking Tips  (Read 625 times)

Offline reggiebean

• sensible person
Gluten Free Baking Tips
« on: January 30, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »
Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac's, and have managed to find great replacements for most of my favourite foods... Except for cakes. I have a massive sweet tooth, and love to bake. I have found some recipes online, but have basically just created flavoured paperweights. Do you have any pre-made, gluten free flour that seems to bake as well as regular flour?

Appreciate the help!

Cheers,

Reg

Offline gfdfnj

• sensible person
    • Gluten Free / Dairy Free NJ
Re: Gluten Free Baking Tips
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
Hey Reg,

You can't really just substitute one-for-one, the recipe needs to adjust at least slightly.  (Cup4cup claims otherwise but it contains dairy and I am dairy free so I'm not sure.)

My favorite author is Annalise Roberts.  She's got a number of cook books out and I've successfully made a number of her recipes (including Red Velvet cupcakes that the people I served them to swore weren't GF/DF!). [Full disclosure, she's in my support group and I've even done test baking for her (dairy free) on new recipes - this doesn't make these recipes any less awesome!]

She writes a blog (and has posted a couple of recipes that will allow you to 'try before you buy') here: My Gluten Free Table.  There is also a 2011 holiday post that list all of her free gluten free baking recipes.  Once you've tried them there are links on the site to buy her cook books.

The main thing that I like about her recipes is the fact that 90+% use the same flour blend.  You can mix once and make most of the items in any of her books.  I've made other recipes by other authors that required that I mix 10+ flours!

One other tip (from Annalise's cooking classes actually) - invest in finely ground brown rice flour, it makes a big difference in texture when baking.  She recommends Authentic Foods and I've used it with better success than other brands.

Good luck!
_________
Jason
Gluten Free / Dairy Free NJ