Author Topic: Possible for gluten to damage your system so much any food causes reaction?  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Justcrash

I ask because since I've cut out gluten a few days ago I've been VERY aware of what I eat. I am getting the brain fog, head ache, bloating and exhaustion when I eat: Eggs, rice and beans (just had some for lunch, brown long grain rice), quinoa (corn?), dairy, something in the homemade chili I made (I am assuming the beef maybe?) and soy.

So my question, I guess is can gluten mess up your system so bad that anything outside of water, fruits, chicken/turkey and veges cause you to have a reaction?

Because honestly, if I am allergic to EVERYTHING that is a pretty loud and clear message that someone doesn't like me... :(

Offline the sensible celiac

• Administrator
    • Skeptic Hosting
The damage done to your gut by the immune system reaction to gluten definitely can and often does make people sensitive to other foods, but often only temporarily.  If a person actually does have celiac disease they must absolutely avoid even the slightest trace of gluten for the rest of their life, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Sensitivities to other foods in a person just starting a gluten free diet are very common.  The most common problem is lactose intolerance, which usually does go away after 6 months or a year.  Try avoiding all dairy products for two weeks or a month.  Dairy foods are a poor choice anyway despite their excellent marketing campaigns.  Cows have four stomachs, humans do not.

If I had to guess, based on what you report eating, I'd say that dairy products should be the next thing you try to eliminate.

Generally speaking food intolerance problems tend to be caused by proteins, so during a recovery from gastric problems a diet of white rice, fruit, and well cooked vegetables can often help.

Most people tolerate potatoes pretty well.  Soy products often are a problem for people with an irritable gut.   Other types of beans may be easier to tolerate.

I hope this helps!

Offline Justcrash

The damage done to your gut by the immune system reaction to gluten definitely can and often does make people sensitive to other foods, but often only temporarily.  If a person actually does have celiac disease they must absolutely avoid even the slightest trace of gluten for the rest of their life, no ifs, ands, or buts.

Sensitivities to other foods in a person just starting a gluten free diet are very common.  The most common problem is lactose intolerance, which usually does go away after 6 months or a year.  Try avoiding all dairy products for two weeks or a month.  Dairy foods are a poor choice anyway despite their excellent marketing campaigns.  Cows have four stomachs, humans do not.

If I had to guess, based on what you report eating, I'd say that dairy products should be the next thing you try to eliminate.

Generally speaking food intolerance problems tend to be caused by proteins, so during a recovery from gastric problems a diet of white rice, fruit, and well cooked vegetables can often help.

Most people tolerate potatoes pretty well.  Soy products often are a problem for people with an irritable gut.   Other types of beans may be easier to tolerate.

I hope this helps!

Absolutely it did. I was looking into info on Leaky Gut syndrome after I posted the initial post and it very much looks like my symptoms. :(

Ok, I have a game plan. I had already eliminated dairy, can someone with leaky gut have white rice?

Offline the sensible celiac

• Administrator
    • Skeptic Hosting
White rice is probably one of the best things you can eat when your gut is being grumpy.

shiloh

You mentioned you had only cut out gluten a few days ago. It will take 2 weeks before symptoms disappear but probably 2 years before your gut heals and you really feel good. Depending on your age, it could be 5 years before that happens. In the meantime, just give up gluten and dairy but continue with the rice and quinoa as you need whole grains in your diet. If you still have symptoms in a few weeks, then start an elimination diet to see what other intolerance you might have. Also, be sure the rice and quinoa you purchase was not processed in a plant that processes wheat or other gluten ingredients. I use only Lundberg rice which states gluten free on the package, and everything they make is gluten free. The quinoa I buy from NutsOnline as they have over 500 certified gluten free products. I was getting sick a lot more often before I started buying all my nuts and gluten free baking mixes, dried fruit, etc. from them.  Good luck! 8-)

glutenbearing